Adventure WV Mission Statement
The West Virginia University Adventure WV Program strives to foster personal growth, leadership development, social responsibility, and student success through adventure-based and experiential education programming.
Adventure WV fulfills this mission by serving the WVU community through three program areas; First-Year Trips, Outdoor Recreation Center, and Outdoor Education Center.
The following values guide the Adventure WV mission:
- Integrity – AWV programming aligns with these core values and with the values and mission of WVU. AWV staff sets high expectations for themselves and adheres to these expectations.
- Student-centric – AWV programming primarily serves WVU students; programming is either directly for students or has an indirect, yet traceable, benefit to students.
- Community and collaboration – AWV fosters a positive community among its staff and participants, contributes to a positive WVU culture, and engages the WVU community in programming and projects.
- Challenge – AWV programming encourages participants and staff to stretch their comfort zones; challenge in novel environments is core to positive outcomes in adventure education.
- Quality and professionalism – AWV programming and staff align with and/or exceed industry standards of outdoor and adventure education and higher education administration.
- Adventure – AWV staff seek to be innovative in meeting the needs of WVU students and community. AWV programs contain elements of fun, learning, and openness to outcomes.