Top Rope Site Manager
This position is responsible for preparing a designated top-rope climbing site for use by the Adventure WV program. All climbing routes must be setup prior to the arrival of the group. All safety and climbing equipment must be well maintained and organized. The site manager is responsible for all site maintenance, safety briefing, gear inspection, climbing instruction and supervision of student leader belayers. Risk management is the primary role of the site manager.
Terms of Employment:
Employment is on a casual, as needed basis. This is a seasonal position, running from June – August, comprised of 25 climbing days. Each climbing day lasts approximately 7 hours and lands on either Friday or Saturday. Training takes place in early-mid June.
Instructor/Guide Related Expectations
- Appropriately select climbs and manage large and small groups of participants in busy top rope settings.
- Respect and enjoy the wilderness environment
- Enjoy people and teaching climbing sports
- Demonstrate high level of professional competence and ability to instruct technical skills such as belaying and anchoring in efficient and effective manner.
- Aware of strengths and weaknesses.
- Tolerance and patience for adversity, diversity and uncertainty
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to give and receive constructive feedback, sense of humor
- Maintain high regard for participant safety and experience
- Relate local knowledge including natural and cultural history
- Demonstrate and promote minimum impact practices and environmental awareness
- Provide leadership, instruction and medical care during an emergency
- Inspect and maintain equipment
- Safety and Supervision: Responsible for the safety of self and participants. Work will include the proper set up and take down of multiple top rope anchors as well as inspecting equipment and property, and documenting these inspections. Must be able to instruct participants on proper use of equipment and systems. Uses good judgment while making independent decisions regarding all facets of the safe and effective use of the site.
- Leadership and Planning: Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated, and be skilled with the empowerment of others. Able to deal calmly with stressful situations and people.
- Experience: Fully trained on Adventure WV
- Physical: Trips take place in an outdoor, adventure orientated setting. Therefore, facilitators should have the ability to perform their required duties for extended periods of time while exposed to adverse conditions including, but not limited to, rough terrain, precipitation, temperature extremes, and wind. Must be able to tie specific knots, demonstrate proper rope technique, and climb all routes as needed. Must be able to stand and be able to lift and carry 44 pounds to and from site.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills are required. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to both participants and other staff members. Ability to relate and work with diverse populations of participants.
- Dependability: Responds to scheduling requests in a timely manner. Is reliable when scheduled. Arrives at site prepared with equipment in time to setup for group is scheduled to arrive. Has reliable Transportation to and from site. Maintains a commitment to the success of the group. Follows local operating procedures.
- Completed at least one year of college (Associated with WVU preferred)
- 19 Years of Age
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications
- Climbing Portfolio
- Have at least 2 years of climbing experience
- Have 20 days of outdoor climbing experience
- Have lead climbed 10 routes at a standard of 5.9 or higher outdoors
- Have top-roped 10 routes at a standard of 5.10a or higher outdoors
- This position may be subject to shadowing programs prior to facilitation as seen fit by Adventure WV Management
- Personal Resume which includes:
- Educational background
- Related work experience (documented with location, references, responsibilities).
- 1-2 paragraphs about your background a goals related to this position.
- Other information you feel is pertinent.
- Climbing Skills Resume: See attached page for recommended form for your skills resume.
- Two references, including contact information, who can verify your climbing skills.
- Proof of current standard first aid and CPR certifications (send copy of certificates that shows the expiry date)
All applications must be received by the Adventure WV office by May 1, 2014.
Applications can be submitted via email to Matthew Shreve: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adventure WV 2001 Rec Center Dr. Morgantown WV 26501 (304) 293-5221
Summer 2014 Climbing Dates:
- June 6,7,14,18,19,20,26,27
- July 2,5,10,11,13,16,17,18,23,25,30,31
- August 2,9,10,11,14