Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Program Design

Registration and Billing

Academic Credits


Equipment information can be found by visiting the registered students page.

Rules and Expectations


Eligibility, Hygiene, and Health

Preparing for your Adventure WV First-Year Trip

Back to Top


How many people are on each program?

Enrollment depends on program-type and specific program. Enrollments are subject to change. Typical numbers are as follows:

  • Odyssey: 20 students and 4 leaders (sometimes smaller trips of 10 students and 2 leaders)
  • Explore: 20 students and 4 leaders (sometimes smaller trips of 10 students and 2 leaders)
  • Quest: 25 students and 4 leaders

Back to Top

What is an early move-in program?

Early move-in programs allow participants the option of placing their belongings in their residence hall room prior to their trip start. Following their trip, participants will get dropped off at their residence hall at which time they can unpack their belongings and settle in! These programs are extremely popular and fill up quickly. Note that students in Band, ROTC, and any other departments with requirements scheduled between August 11-16, 2024, are ineligible for standard early move-in programs. 

Back to Top

When and where do I need to show up for my trip?

Please refer to your trip’s itinerary on our registered students page for details on start and end times.

Explore trips begin at Outdoor Recreation Center, located within the Student Recreation Center on WVU’s Evansdale Campus. Drive through the parking lot until you see the large garage doors and Adventure WV flag.

All Odyssey and Quest trips will begin at the Natural Resources Center (NRC), located at the WVU Research Forest below the Outdoor Education Center.

Back to Top

How do you recommend I get to and from Morgantown? Is there somewhere to stay if I arrive early?

Please visit our registered students page for information on transportation and lodging.

Back to Top

How does Adventure WV communicate with me?

Adventure WV will communicate with you via your (the student’s) MIX email account. You MUST check your MIX account! If you have questions about accessing or using your MIX account, please contact the WVU Help Desk, 1-877-327-9260, or send an email.

Back to Top

How do I register for programs?

Register online on our Registration Page. Programs are first-come, first-served. You must have your WVU ID # and password available to register (this number will be listed in your WVU acceptance letter). Please note that registration for programs will NOT automatically register you for academic credits. See the "Academic Credits" section below for details.

Online registration for all trips remain open, if spaces are available, up to 72 hours prior to the start of the program. Those registering within a one-week window of the program must note that Adventure WV cannot accommodate dietary restrictions without at least one week's notice.

Back to Top

How do I pay or how am I billed for my trip?

The only cost, for any of our First-Year Trips, is the non-refundable commitment/processing fee of $95. Students who qualify for additional financial assistance AND complete the summer portion of our programs will have that fee removed from their student account in early August. Programs are all-inclusive: food, transportation, lodging, etc. After you register for a program, the processing fee will be applied directly to your student account and posted in early July of 2024. Adventure WV does not accept payment in any other form. Hence, you will pay for this fee at the same time you pay for all of your fall courses. The $95 fee will appear on your fall billing statement as: MAVO (ADV WV Trips). You will receive an email to your MIX address from the Mountaineer Hub, if you have balance due after financial aid and scholarships are applied.

Back to Top

Is it true I get academic credits for going on a First-Year Trip?

Students who participate on an Adventure WV First-Year Trip will enroll in a one-credit Fall semester course - WVUe 188 - Adventure WV.

Back to Top

Do I need to register for the academic credit? Will Adventure register me?

Once you complete registration for your First-Year Trip, you'll receive an email to your @mix account that contains the specific details for the WVUe 188 section that you need to register for. Save and star this email! In order to earn the accompanying fall credit you will need to work with your academic advisor to register for the course. Due to University regulations, Adventure WV cannot register you. Tell your advisor that you are/will be an Adventure WV First-Year Trip participant and access the email you were previously sent that contains the course details. They will assist you in selecting and registering for the correct WVUe 188 course section.

Back to Top

Does my Adventure WV First-Year Trip count as a freshman seminar?

No, your trip nor your fall course count as the First-Year Seminar. The course you will enroll in is a one-credit, Pass/Fail, elective course. 

Back to Top

Are there any items that are prohibited on First-Year Trips?

Yes. First-Year Trips are drug, alcohol, weapons, and tobacco-free/ e-cigs/ vape-free environments. We also do not allow cell phones (more details below) or personal MP3 devices. Generally, you should not bring anything not included on the Packing List. Any students in violation of these rules may be removed from the program with no refund, have their grades reduced by a full grade letter and be subject to University sanctions.

Back to Top

Why can’t I bring my cell phone?

We have put a lot of thought into our cell phone policy in recent years as phones have become more prevalent and central to our everyday lives. We have written a letter that details why we remain cell phone free. Note that our participants overwhelmingly recommend that we keep this policy!

Back to Top

Why are FYTs smoke and vape free environments?

FYTs are smoke and vape free to best comply with federal legislation and with WVU's smoke and vape free campus policy. You can read more about why our programs are smoke and vape free and how you can best prepare for your program.

Do I need to provide my own meals?

No. All meals and snacks will be provided as soon as your program begins. However, if you would like to bring a small amount of non-perishable personal snacks, you are welcome.

Back to Top

What are we going to be eating?

Lots of great and healthy food! We are always busy on our programs and expending a lot of energy. Your specific menu will vary by program type. Some typical meals are …

  • Breakfasts: cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, french toast
  • Lunch: sandwiches and wraps
  • Dinner: pasta, stir fry, quesadillas, burritos, mac and cheese, salad
  • Snacks: crackers, cookies, fruit, veggies, trail mix
  • Beverages: hot chocolate, coffee, lemonade, water

Back to Top

I’m a vegetarian. Is that a problem?

No. Most meals are vegetarian friendly and we have alternatives for those meals which are not. Please mark that you are a vegetarian on your Participant Information Form. If it is not listed, we cannot accommodate for your specific meal plan.

Back to Top

I have food allergies. Is that a problem?

No. Please be sure to include all information regarding your allergies on your Participant Information Form. If you think additional information is relevant, please get in touch with us. We may also contact you to gain more information. We can plan a menu around most food allergies. However, if it not listed on your Participation Information Form, we cannot accommodate for your specific meal plan.

Back to Top

I have another dietary restriction. Is that a problem?

No. Please be sure to include all information regarding restrictions on your Participant Information Form. As long as you let us know what your restrictions are, we will almost always be able to accommodate them. Don’t hesitate to be in touch with us if your dietary restrictions may require an explanation or benefit from a discussion. We may also follow up with you. We have accommodated many diets in the past, including kosher, halal, vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free, along with having accommodated a wide range of food allergies. However, if it is not listed on your Participation Information Form, we cannot accommodate.

Back to Top

If I have had previous or have current health conditions, who do I contact if I have concerns or questions before I register?

All participants are required to read and meet Adventure WV's Essential Eligibility Criteria (EEC).

The health and safety of our students and staff are a top priority, along with the educative quality of the program experience for all participants. To achieve essential group goals, the individuals on each program must be fully capable of and committed to learning and using outdoor skills, meeting physical and social challenges, and taking care of themselves and each other.

The Essential Eligibility Criteria (EEC) are applied to all students on AWV’s First-Year Trips (FYTs). A qualified person meets the general EEC for AWV as well as the EEC for the specific FYT program activities and program areas. If an applicant does not meet specific criteria, AWV might be able to accommodate an applicant, but will not do so if it significantly alters the fundamental nature of the program activity, jeopardizes the health and safety of program participants or staff, or places an undue administrative or financial burden on WVU or Adventure WV. Requests for accommodations must be submitted in writing to Adventure WV at least one month prior to a program. Requests are not guaranteed; Adventure WV will work with the requestor and WVU’s Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) to determine the feasibility of the request. A final plan for accommodations must be reviewed and approved of by AWV, the requestor, and OAS at least one week prior to the program. Requestors are also encouraged to consult directly with OAS.

Adventure WV FYT participants are responsible for consulting the itinerary of their selected program and reviewing the relevant Essential Eligibility Criteria.

Back to Top

There are going to be bathrooms and showers, right?

The answer to this question depends on your program!

  • Odyssey: A mix of bathroom facilities will be available throughout the trip. 
  • Explore: You will have access to bathroom facilities EXCEPT while on the backpacking portion of your trip. Your leaders will teach you what you need to know while backpacking!
  • Quest: A mix of bathroom facilities will be available throughout the trip.

Back to Top

Do I need to bring a First Aid Kit?

No. We bring a well-stocked First Aid Kit. However, if you find yourself frequently using a specific over-the-counter (OTC) medication, you may want to consider bringing a small supply with you.

Back to Top

What if I take prescription medication?

Please be sure to take them with you, take them as prescribed and keep them accessible. Take special care to bring and keep accessible epi-pens and/or asthma inhalers if you have had these prescribed to you for any reason. Also, be sure you have noted these medications (along with dosage) on your Participant Information Form. If you begin new medications (or stop taking previous meds) after filling out your form, please let us know.

Back to Top

What if I use contacts?

You can definitely bring and use contacts while camping and/or on the trail. Be sure to bring 1-2 extra pairs, plenty of solution (usually a 4 oz travel size is sufficient), and definitely bring your glasses as a backup. Some people like to bring a travel-size mirror, as well. Your leaders can show and help you wash your hands with our biodegradable soap before putting in and taking out contacts.

Back to Top

What if I might get my period while backpacking?

We encourage ALL Explore participants who have periods to make and pack a “period kit.” The changes in diet and activity level often cause people to get their period when they are not expecting it. Here is a great resource for building a period kit.

Back to Top

I’ve never been backpacking, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, camping, etC. before. Is that a problem?

No! Our programs are designed for beginners. We do not expect you to have experience or be proficient in anything we do. Your leaders will teach you what you need to know for your program. You should anticipate the experience will be a genuine challenge, along with being a wonderful, fun, and valuable experience.

You can refer to our glossary of terms to get a better understanding of what you'd be doing on trip.

Back to Top

Is there anything I should do to prepare for the Trip?

Doing some type of regular exercise may help you feel more comfortable with the activities on trip. But really, the only thing you need to do is get excited!

Back to Top

Where can I get the clothing and equipment I need?

First, begin by looking through your current wardrobe! Chances are that you may already have many of the items that you need (no need for fancy outdoor name brands - just check the tags for synthetic (i.e. non-cotton) materials - think quick-dry/moisture wicking fabrics). If you don't already have them, consider borrowing from friends or family. Another option to consider is thrift or second-hand stores. If you dig a little, you can often find great synthetic clothing at very affordable prices. Additionally, clothes can be found inexpensively at stores like Plato's Closet, Gabe's, Amazon, Target, Walmart, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls. 

Pathfinder of Morgantown WV is a great place to get some of your gear! All of Pathfinder’s staff is familiar with the equipment needed on trips and can outfit you with the gear you will need to make your adventure this summer a success. Let them know that you'll be going on a First-Year Trip and you'll receive a 10% discount! This shop is located at 235 High Street and is locally owned and operated. They can be reached at 304-296-0076 or you can find out more on their website.

Remember that Adventure WV provides all technical equipment.

If you want more outdoor-specific clothing or gear, some good outdoor retailers are:

As with everything do not hesitate to contact us if you’re having trouble finding something or if you have any questions:  email us or call 304-293-5221

Back to Top

should I bring money, id, etc. on the trip?

We highly encourage you to bring some cash on the trip. Please refer to your specific trip model packing list for the recommended amount. We suggest bringing cash, as opposed to a credit or debit card, as it is difficult (and likely not possible) to access an ATM during the trip. The cash can be used to tip your guides (rafting, climbing, etc.) and also to purchase souvenirs or a treat (ice cream, drink). You will not need your ID at any point on the trip, however, you will need your license if driving yourself to the trip. You also do not need an insurance card as you will list this information on our program forms. Please note that during your trip check in, you can give your Course Director car keys, IDs, cell phones and any other items and they will be securely stored during your trip. 

Back to Top